3 of Our Favorite Day Trips from the Heart of the Hill Country
Are you looking for new day trips in the Texas Hill Country? If you’ve already visited Wimberley’s top 10 attractions, dining, and shopping experiences, we’ve got you covered. In this article, we’ll dive into three of our favorite day trips from the heart of the Texas Hill Country.
Located about 45 minutes away from Cypress Creek Cottages, Pedernales Falls State Park is home to the Pedernales River, which can be tranquil or turbulent, and the Pedernales Falls, where the river cascades over huge slabs of limestone.
Pedernales Falls State Park offers these adventures:
- Hiking and mountain biking – Choose your adventure: You can enjoy a ½-mile hike or ride on the Twin Falls Nature Trail and enjoy a scenic view of the falls. Want to get your blood pumping? Take on the 6-mile Wolf Mountain Trail that wraps around Tobacco and Wolf Mountains or the 10-mile single-track Juniper Ridge Trail.
- Picnicking – Pack a picnic to rest and recharge.
- Geocaching – Take the term “scavenger hunt” to a whole new level.
- Birdwatching – Bring your binoculars and camera, and enjoy the park’s bird blind.
- Swimming, tubing, canoeing, and kayaking – Go for a ¼-mile hike and then cool off in or on Pedernales River. Just be aware of flash flooding.
- Fishing – Bring your fishing pole for a relaxing getaway.
- Stargazing – The park offers many outdoor stargazing events where you can learn and explore.
Pedernales Falls State Park also offers horseback riding (bring your own horse) and camping.
This charming town is just 20 minutes from Cypress Creek Cottages. It offers a variety of surprising sights and tastes that you can enjoy in a day or two.
Visit Driftwood to:
- Eat – Whether you want Italian or BBQ, there are many great restaurants in Driftwood.
- Drink – This town offers multiple wineries and breweries, as well as Desert Door Distillery, which offers sotol, a unique drink that is similar to tequila.
- Go for a walk – Charro Ranch Park, located between Driftwood and Dripping Springs, is a 64-acre park where you can enjoy nature.
- Take photos – Visit the historic Texaco station (that is no longer operating) and take a selfie.
- Go to church or temple – The Driftwood Church is another historic landmark in Driftwood. Or visit Radha Madhav Dham, which is one of the largest Hindu temples in the U.S.
This city is nestled at the edge of the Texas Hill Country and is located just 40 minutes from Cypress Creek Cottages.
Check out these family-friendly experiences in New Braunfels:
- Animal World and Snake Farm Zoo – Experience the wild with a petting zoo, reptile center, animal exhibits, and interactive shows.
- McKenna Children’s Museum – The perfect place for kids to enjoy hands-on learning through a collection of educational exhibits about science, technology, healthy eating habits, art, gardening, and more.
- Stars and Stripes Drive-In Theatre – Enjoy modern movies and tasty treats straight from their 50s cafe.
- Schlitterbahn Water Park – From river rides and water slides to pools and a not-so-lazy river, there’s something for the whole family at this water park.
- Natural Bridge Caverns – Discover massive, otherworldly formations with cavern tours, test your skills on a ropes course, go gem and fossil mining, and then grab a bite to eat and go shopping.
- Landa Park and Fischer Park – New Braunfels features 41 parks. Enjoy some relaxation with paddleboats and train rides at Landa Park or go for a bike ride in Fischer Park.
Stay in the Heart of the Hill Country
Whether you’re planning one day trip or many, you’ll want to stay somewhere nearby that has all the amenities you need while providing the relaxation you deserve.
Cypress Creek Cottages is the perfect place to stay when you want to go on day trips in the Texas Hill County. Our cottages serve as a hub for all of your adventures. We offer 12 unique cottages, and each one includes bedrooms, a bathroom, a kitchen, 24/7 staff, free WiFi, a fenced-in dog park, and more.