Pack for Your Texas Hill Country Summer Vacation
The Texas Hill Country has so much to offer when it comes to planning your perfect summer vacation. We’ve got gorgeous outdoor views and natural wonders, fun kid-friendly activities, and plenty of great wine and dining options for a romantic getaway.
While you’re planning your Texas Hill Country summer vacation, what things are you most excited about doing? Do you just want to relax in a hot tub and enjoy a nice winery with your significant other? Do you want lots of fun outdoor adventures for you and your besties? Are you looking for some great things for kids, so you can join them in making unforgettable summer vacation memories?
There’s something for everyone in the Hill Country, and we want to help you pack for it!
Packing for Outdoor Adventures
Because the Texas Hill Country has something for every outdoor lover, it’s the perfect place to take a hike or go kayaking, ziplining, biking, swimming, tubing, and more.
To prepare for the warm Texas climate, here are the top things to pack for the Texas Hill Country:
- Sunscreen – the recommended coverage is at least 30 SPF. Here is a great article with tips for choosing the best sunscreen for the summer heat in Texas.
- Bug Spray
- First Aid Kit – while you’re out exploring, you may, in your excitement, get some scrapes and bruises. Make sure your first aid kit has antibacterial ointment, bandages, gauze pads, moleskin or other blister treatment items, insect sting treatment, and antiseptic wipes.
- Good footwear – hiking shoes and water shoes
- Water Bottle or Hydration Pack
- Layers of Clothing – Texas summers are hot, but the evenings can get chilly. And don’t forget to pack for your activity level – water-resistant hiking clothes are a must!
- Hat – the sun can be unforgiving. You don’t have to pack a cowboy hat but adding a head covering to your luggage is a good idea just in case.
- Swimwear and Coverups – your day in the water could quickly turn into a dinner out on the town, so don’t forget to bring some coverups that will work to throw over your swim clothes if you lose track of time in the Texas sunshine.
Here’s a bonus life hack: take some bandanas, throw them in your cooler, and that way you have a quick cool-down method when you are out getting lost in the natural beauty of the Hill Country.
Packing for a Romantic Getaway
If you are looking for a great, romantic getaway in the Texas Hill Country, we have lots of great activities. You can pack the outdoor essentials we mentioned above, and you can take some great kayak trips or go on a lovely sunset hike.
There are also tons of great wineries, breweries, and restaurants that offer opportunities for you and your loved one to relax and enjoy the Hill Country without your hiking boots.
Some of the best things to pack for a romantic Texas summer vacation include:
- Comfortable clothes you don’t mind being photographed in – a mix of dressy and casual, based on your preferences
- A nice camera or smartphone with a good camera – the views in the Hill Country are amazing, and this creates a perfect photo op for you and your favorite person.
- Your favorite comfort food or beverages – this is if you have specific items you want to enjoy. If you’d rather pamper yourself and your partner, we offer Experience packages with wine, beer, margarita mixers, snacks, and more.
- Items that you want to use during some alone time in your private cabin and hot tub – are there games, items, or other activities you’ve been saving for a romantic celebration?
Packing for a Family Vacation
Every family is different and you know best what yours will need to make it through the drive or flight to the Texas Hill Country, but we wanted to offer some help with a few family summer vacation packing items that may not be as obvious.
Of course, if you, your spouse, the kiddos, and the dog are all coming to the Texas Hill Country for the outdoor activities, check out that section of the article for some must-pack items.
Don’t forget to pack:
- Medications and hygiene items – you never know how your little ones will tolerate a new climate or activity, so it’s best to be prepared. Plus, if you and your kids are doing lots of reading or watching movies in the car, don’t forget your favorite motion sickness medications.
- Your Pet! – Cypress Creek Cottages offers pet-friendly lodging, and we even have a pet daycare package if you and the fam want to strike out on your own without having to worry about which buildings and activities will allow pets.
- Boredom Busters – no matter how packed your vacation schedule is, there will be downtime. Pack some fun games, books, movies, and other time-fillers to keep the boredom at bay during car rides and quiet evenings in the cabin.
- Snacks that can stand the heat – while gummy worms, chocolate, and other family favorites are great when you’re on-the-go, it’s important to think about what those snacks will look and taste like if you leave them in your car all day. Chips, crackers, pretzels, and other non-melting foods should be at the top of your list
- Garbage bags – aside from the obvious uses, you can use these babies to store wet swimsuits, smelly shoes, and all the other items you have to figure out what to do with while you’re out adventuring.
Things to Leave at Home Because You’re Staying at Cypress Creek Cottages
The only thing worse than forgetting to pack something you need is packing a ton of stuff you don’t. At Cypress Creek Cottages, we have lots of great features that will help shorten your packing list. We’re also located right next to downtown Wimberley, so you can easily pick up anything you may have left at home.
The first things you can leave at home are all your kitchen utensils! We have all of the following available for you in your private cabin’s full-size kitchen: a full-size coffee machine with pre-stocked coffee and condiments, plates, glasses, silverware, bakeware, cookware, and utensils.
Feel free to pack light on the bathroom amenities as well! At Cypress Creek Cottages, you will have access to a full tub and shower stocked with soap, shampoo and conditioner, as well as a hairdryer, luxury robes, and spa towels for hot tub use.
If you are looking to pack light but would like to take advantage of some romantic or fun surprises, we also offer a host of Experience packages. These packages are designed to give your summer vacation that little splash of something extra like wine, chocolates, snacks, beer, flowers, fixings for margaritas, and more.
Your Texas Summer Vacation Awaits!
Whether you are looking for a grand adventure in the great wide Texas Hill Country or you are looking for a quiet and romantic getaway, Cypress Creek Cottages is the perfect home away from home for your vacation!
Each cabin at Cypress Creek Cottages sleeps 3 to 6 guests and has many areas and amenities for enjoying your time in the cabin and around the CCC property. A private outdoor deck, barbecue grill, and hot tub are available at every cabin. We also have common sitting areas, an outdoor fire pit, a fenced and lighted pet park, and access to Cypress Creek.